Ceviche is a light refreshing dish made from fresh raw fish ‘cooked’ (cured) in citrus juices, such as lemon or lime, and spiced with ají or chili peppers.
- 3 raw fish fillets (salmon or sea bass)
- 12 king prawns (cooked – optional)
- 1 fresh red aji limo (red Peruvian chilli pepper *)
- 1 yellow aji limo (yellow Peruvian chilli pepper *)
- 1 1⁄2cups lime juice (do not squeeze the limes fully to avoid bitterness – only squeeze about half way)
- 1 cooked sweet potato optional)
- 1⁄4 bunch coriander (leaves only – finely chopped)
- 1⁄2 red onion (thinly sliced)
- sea salt to taste
- 6 ice cubes
- 1 cup white corn kernels (optional)
* If you cannot find aji limo then habanero chilli peppers will do fine
- Remove the veins and seeds from the chilli peppers (aji limo) and dice them thinly
- Cook and cool the sweet potato, corn kernels and prawns (if supplied raw)
- Cut the fish fillets into small cubes.
- Rub the bottom of the glass (or plastic) mixing bowl with the tip of the aji limo (chilli pepper)
- Add the fish, ice cubes salt and lime juice to the bowl and stir.
- Leave the fish to cook in the lime juice for about 15 minutes
- Remove ice cubes.
- Add the chilli peppers (aji limo) to taste and stir
- Add the prawns and stir.
- Add the coriander and stir
- Add the sliced red onions and stir
- Refrigerate for about 15 more minutes.
- Serve accompanied with corn and sweet potato (optional).